September 23, 2015 – In celebration of its 20-year anniversary, Kiva Dunes Golf and Beach Resort is currently undergoing a $3.5 million enhancement. The project includes renovations to the award-winning Jerry Pate designed golf course and the course is expected to reopen in early October.
The golf course renovations are aimed to improve the playability of the course for the average golfer, while maintaining the challenges and shot-values enjoyed by more experienced golfers. Houston-based Heritage Links is overseeing the renovations and enhancement project, which includes:
– Replacing the champion turfgrass on the greens with a more temperate and golfer-friendly TifEagle turf
– Completely rebuilding and reshaping the white sand bunkers
– Stabilizing the walls on many of the greens
– Leveling of each tee box and rototilling the Bermudagrass fairways, a process which will dispose of the organic layering under the fairway and ensure for perfect lies and approach shots into the new greens
– Re-vegetation of native grasses and sandy dunes found throughout the course
– Improving the natural transitions between grasses and the indigenous beach landscape
To ensure the integrity of the new renovations, U.S. Open Winner, Jerry Pate (the original course designer), is overseeing the entire renovation process. The greens have been sprigged and the bunker contours are coming together. Jerry Pate was even spotted driving a bulldozer on the signature par 3, 13th green.
“Sometimes you just have to do it yourself when you envision in your head how you want the bunkers to roll off the green. This is such a great hole,” Pate said. “Who else would I trust this with?”
When asked about the renovations, Scott Russell, Kiva Dunes’ director of marketing said, “I’ve been watching a one-of-a-kind golf course in Kiva Dunes be transformed into an even more unique and special gulf side experience. Heritage Links’ small touches are the things that make a golf course the kind of tract that golfers seek out and include on their bucket list. Together, with Jerry Pate’s vision, Kiva Dunes is transforming into the type of golf course that will make your friends jealous if they aren’t with you on that first tee box.”