Tommy Hewitt, scholarship committeee chairman announced that nine students received the 2017 Georgia Golf Course Superintendents Association (Georgia GCSA) Legacy Scholarship. The scholarship offers educational aid to children and grandchildren of Georgia GCSA members. The awards are funded by the Georgia GCSA and sponsored by Jerry Pate Turf and Irrigation.
Hewitt, from Windermere Golf Club in Cumming, GA led scholarship interviews with help from Kyle Macdonald from St. Ives Country Club in Johns Creek, Jamie Pate of Jerry Pate Turf and Irrigation in Atlanta, Mike Brown from The Standard Club in Johns Creek and Chuck Underwood, CGCS from Northwood Country Club in Lawrenceville.
Applications were reviewed independently by the Georgia GCSA scholarship committee. Criteria for selection included: academic achievement, extracurricular and community involvement, leadership and outside employment. Students were required to submit two essays. One or more of the applicant’s parents or grandparents must have been a Georgia GCSA member for five or more consecutive years and must be a currently active Georgia GCSA member in one of the following classifications: A, B, C, Retired A, Retired B or AA Life. Students must be enrolled full-time at an accredited institution for the next academic year.
This year’s recipients were:
- Karli Durden – Daughter of Joe Durden, Savannah Lakes Golf Village, McCormick, SC
- Joshua Abrams – Son of Mark Abrams, Wolf Creek Golf Club, Atlanta, GA
- Austin Geter – Son of Jimmy Geter, CGCS, AA Life
- Hannah Kepple – Daughter of Ralph Kepple, CGCS, East Lake Golf Club, Atlanta, GA
- Morgan Kepple – Daughter of Ralph Kepple, CGCS, East Lake Golf Club, Atlanta, GA
- Lydia Connally – Daughter of Steve Connally, CGCS, Fox Creek/Legacy Golf Links, Alpharetta, GA
- Megan McCord – Granddaughter of Ron Sinnock, AA Life
- Ashley Wilder – Daughter of Gary Wilder, Club Corp, LaGrange, GA
- Tabitha Williams – Daughter of Fred Williams, Apple Mountain Golf Club, Clarksville, GA